Monday, February 16, 2009

Winter: The Great Equalizer

The thing I LOVE about winter is that it makes me so happy when it's over. I can't wait for my daffodils and tulips and crocuses to bloom. Almost all gardens look equally crappy in the midst of winter chill....or rain.
Oregonians crack me up. As soon as we get a sunny day, any time after March 1st, we drive in droves to the nearest nursery centre and stock up on colourful blooms.
Every year, I try to resist the urge.
Every year, I fail.

Here are some radiant spots in my garden right now.

My friend, Lori, gave me snowdrop bulbs a couple of years ago. They have multiplied aggressively and are the first bloom of the year.


Hellebores


Some kind of jasmine. Also from Lori.
I'll bet you wish YOU had a Lori too!


The ubiquitous goldfinches with the expensive tastes.


Raised beds, just waiting for spring.
Two beds of dormant strawberries, dreaming of little children who will steal their delicious fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment