Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hi ho, hi ho, off I go....

to the Better Living Show tomorrow at the Expo Centre.
All kinds of fun stuff for GREEN living.
Last year I got my two kiwi plants.
The male died, sniff, but the nursery replaced him.
With a much more virile male, obviously, because he survived Oregon's very tough winter.
In a couple of years, I hope to have lots of these.


I also discovered Solatubes, a very nifty invention, of which we now own two.
My formerly dim living room and VERY DARK hallway thank me.
The same company also installed an attic fan, which lives inconspicuously on top of the roof and uses solar power to suck the hot air out of the attic whenever the inside temperature triggers the thermostat.

How cool is that?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nostalgic Nana! I am a huge fan (no pun intended) of solar attic fans. Solar attic fans are not only the least expensive (in terms of total cost of ownership, which is purchase price + operating costs), they are also the most environmentally friendly way to ventilate an attic. Unlike conventional electric attic fans, solar attic fans don't use any electricity from the power grid at all! I have really been trying to get the word out about this method of attic ventilation at Solar Attic Fan Info because I think not enough people are aware of the benefits - please check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Billy W, if you ever come back to my site, I agree! Our fan is so quiet that once in a while in the summer I get one of my boys to hop up onto the roof to see if the fan is actually running. It has made a big difference to the temperature inside the house in the summer. It cost us about $500, but as long as it keeps working (and I have to think that there aren't too many things that could go wrong with it) it is a great investment.

    ReplyDelete