Thursday, January 14, 2010

The wisdom of a father, added upon

My Dad often reduced life to a few pithy sayings.
I was thinking about some of them this morning.

If millions believe a lie, does it make it truth?
A bad workman blames his tools.
Measure twice, cut once.
Never show a fool a half-finished job.


He also taught me, by example more than words, principles which have guided my life:

Pay off debt early.
Live within your means.
Be kind to animals.
Make your garden beautiful AND productive.
Follow your dreams.
Be happy.
Be good and do good.
Work hard.
Play hard.
Show your beliefs in the way you live your life.
Be honest.
A bunch of freshly picked flowers from the garden is worth more than any florist's bouquet.
Seek knowledge.
Search for adventures.
Take care of people in need.
Gather food storage.
Compost is good.
Own a gun for protection.
Do your best.
Look on the bright side.
If you play the piano, you'll always be popular.
Have fun, no matter what.

My Dad died young, but I think he died without regret, except for perhaps having to leave Mum alone for so long. He was not a complicated man and he enjoyed simple pleasures. I wish my kids and Jeff could have known him.
I hope that in knowing me they have known a small part of him.

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute, Sue. I see all those things you list in you. So yes, I am glad to know your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. I think the best thing anyone could ever say about me is that I'm my Dad's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know, I teared up when I was reading this because I want a grandpa. I guess I should say I want a REAL grandpa because we all know that Dad's dad doesn't really count. Which also makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany, you have a Grandpa, and some day you will meet him. Maybe you already have, if the story is true.

    ReplyDelete