Friday, January 1, 2010

Auspicious beginnings

In honour of the new year, I decided to wash a load of whites.
Mostly because I was out of underwear.
Which necessitated clearing off the dining table so that I could wash the tablecloth so that it would be clean for my un-New-Year's-Eve party tonight.
I picked up my purse to put it away and noticed that it was full of crap.
So I cleaned out all of the random papers that had accumulated.
Then I noticed a credit card in my wallet that I never use any more, so I started on the wallet.
I made piles on the counter: recycle, cut up, throw away.
Then, on the counter, I saw the pile of Christmas cards and photos that kind people had sent.
So I sorted those into piles: recycle, throw away, cut up to use for gift tags next year.
Put a DVD back in its cover and noticed the mess of movies on the floor by the TV.
Cleaned up the movie mess.
Finally, back to the tablecloth.

My grasshopper ways will be the undoing of me yet.

Another thought on that last post on creativity.
I used to have a bumper sticker on our old Vista that said "Boring women have immaculate homes." I still subscribe to the philosophy, although I do like a tidy home and always aspire to it. I've decided that I'm a goal-oriented person. Hence, the party tonight. Today, in addition to visiting the Evergreen Aviation Museum (home of the Spruce Goose) with our free passes from the library, we will be cleaning house. Nothing like a party to get the old cleaning juices flowing. If you're reading this and didn't get a call from me, crash it anyway.

May we all have a happy and productive 2010.

6 comments:

  1. But did you ever vet back to the laundry? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly like the chronology of astronomy and space travel at Evergreen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, yes, the motivation being clean underwear, of course. Jon, we were very impressed with the museum. Comparable to the Smithsonian, we thought. I even found it fascinating and I was really only going for Dad. The arms exhibit upstairs was interesting, did you see the video on the history of our right to bear arms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a happy and productive year to us all, in clean underwear, preferably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through the arms collection (it's on loan and won't be there forever) at the end of our visit. I watched bits of the video, but the kids were not cooperating. I remember something about Theodore's vision of an american public that was properly trained in the use of firearms and ready to answer the call to arms at any time. That's part of my motivation to buy my own firearm and get my concealed weapon permit. I've got my eyes on one of the smaller glock models. I think Dad should do the same. Then we can go shooting together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, we need to talk. Dad's not interested in arming up, but I am. Something nice and small and ladylike that I can keep with me. I'd like to do it sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete