Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Life is uncertain...

...eat dessert first. Ernestine Ulmer.


It's true, I am a social creature, in spite of Jeff's efforts to the contrary. So on Saturday night, we had a party. It was a kind of an un-4th of July party, complete with no fireworks. Here was how the invitation read:
Come and eat scrumptious food, engage in scintillating conversation, and not watch fireworks with us on Saturday night. Jeff will fire up the barbie and we'll try to keep the mosquitoes away. This is an evening for adults, so bring your spouse. Small babies are allowed. We love small babies. Bring a favourite side dish or dessert if you want, like salad or baked beans. We'll supply the meat and buns.


I was a maniac all day Saturday, cleaning house and tidying up the garden so that everyone would think that my house always looked at least this good. I put chicken thighs in Tupperware, one in honey chipotle barbecue sauce and the other in teriyaki sauce, so that the flavours could ripen. I defrosted several different kinds of sausages.  I cleaned a mountain of strawberries (always with the strawberries!) so that we could eat them with homemade ice cream. I grilled up a bunch of Walla Walla onions and red peppers. I went to the store to stock up on cans of pop.  I made a double recipe of hoagie rolls shaped into hamburger and hot dog buns. 
Oh, and did I mention that the main bathroom's toilet broke on Thursday so I also had to spiff up our bedroom so that people could walk through it to get to the only working toilet? 


So Saturday night rolled around and Sandi was the first to show up, minus her S.O. who was off shooting rats in Eastern Oregon
Don't ask.
She was toting a couple of extra  chairs and a delicious rhubarb/blueberry custard cake that I had given the "okay" on. I had a strawberry cake in my neighbour's fridge (no room in my own) that I was also planning to serve, but I figured, what the hey, can't have too much dessert!
Right?
Then Lori and Lige arrived, with a delectable blackberry cheesecake pie thingy.
Yahoo! we exclaimed, that looks yummy.
And Doug and Ellen walked in, carrying some gooey chocolate-y Texas sheet cake.
Mmm, we said, laughing.
And Steve and Sue came bearing tasty gluten-free tollhouse bars.
Then Bryce and Brenda delivered the ice cream makings, as per my request.
And Laurie and Dave walked around the side of the house and came up to the deck bearing a cooler filled with ice for the pop and.....a watermelon!
Anne and Justin came with a scrumptious cake, decorated as a fruity flag.


Wait a picking minute!
What part of "side dish" do you guys not understand?
I guess I never should have given the word "dessert" any space at all.
So we ate meat and buns and dessert.
With lots of condiments.
Which, come to think of it, is just about my idea of heaven!


Oh yes, Betty and Bill turned up late (which if you know Betty is not unusual but they had a good excuse, Bill having nobly attended a pre-party Imax showing of Eclipse with his nuts-about-Twilight wife) and thoughtfully provided an ambrosial fresh fruit salad. Which could almost count as vegetables.
We decided that at the next party, everyone will probably bring salads, which won't be half as much fun.


Several people requested the hoagie roll recipe, so here it is:
Hoagie Rolls
5 1/2 tsp yeast
3 c warm water
2 tbs sugar
1/4 c oil
1 tbs salt
8-8 1/2 c all-purpose flour.

In mixer bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Let stand about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, salt and flour until a soft dough forms. Knead until elastic, about 5 minutes.
Cover in the bowl 45 minutes, then punch down and divide into 18 pieces. Shape into ovals (or circles for hamburgers) and place 2" apart on a greased baking sheet. With scissors, cut a 1/4" slash on each (or not, if for hamburgers) and let rise for 20 minutes.
Brush with water and bake at 400 degrees for 13-18 minutes till golden brown. Cool on racks.


We love to slather these with pulled pork, which is the easiest thing in the world to make. Just put a pork roast (and maybe some onion and sweet peppers if you're feeling fancy)  in the crock-pot and cook on high for about 5 hours, by which time it should be tender. Shred with a fork, remove the worst of the fat, and stir in a bottle or more of your favourite barbecue sauce. This summer I really like Baby Ray's, because it's been on sale everywhere! Cook without the lid for another hour or so to evaporate some of the liquid and intensify the flavours. Bring out the heavenly rolls and dinner is served!

8 comments:

  1. I've been using the Baby Rays too - good stuff. Your rolls sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! The hoagie roll recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your preference for desserts and distain for salads is known far and wide. So what else does one take to a BBQ at Sue's? Certainly not veggies! Next time let's all bring mac & cheese. Somebody - send out the memo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Brenda. I'll refrain from correcting your spelling of "disdain" if you'll refrain from mocking my disdain of salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, my kind of party! My menu varied a little, we had brats, roasted corn and assorted veges and grilled pineapple. I would love to have your strawberries...oh well, that's what I get for living in the hight desert...no strawberries for dessert!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good heavens! So many desserts! Lovely. No salad for me, thanks. Now, homemade hoagie rolls ... I would have been hiding extras in my purse for later. You're lucky I wasn't there. I make pulled pork exactly like you do, except I make the sauce of store-bought BBQ sauce mixed with ketchup, a little mustard, brown sugar, and lots of Tabasco! My family are nuts about that recipe. It's also good made with London Broil for beef barbecue!

    It sounds like you had an absolutely smashing un-party! Congratulations on being a spectacular hostess!

    Shooting rats? Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely time. Who wants sides when you can have meat and sweets. We too, love Baby Ray's; it's good stuff. Thanks for sharing your recipe. We will be trying it out next week on our missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should blog more, Sue! You're very good. I so look forward to your posts.

    No pressure. LOL

    ReplyDelete