Saturday, July 31, 2010

The triathlon...

...in which I did NOT compete.
It started out as an activity for the young men at church.
And it grew.
But not very big.
Technically, or so I am told, a sprint triathlon.
Eight lengths in the pool, 13 miles on a bike, and 3 miles running.
I was tempted.

I hemmed and hawed for weeks. But in the end I admitted to myself that I am not quite up to it yet. I could have done any of the events alone, but all three might just have killed me. Or crippled me. Or turned me into a sobbing heap of misery and woe. Any of which would not be a good thing.
So this morning I prepared the refreshments for the animalistic types who competed.
More up my alley anyway.

This is Jerry, who rode safety patrol for the biking and running routes.
I keep telling Jeff:
I love a man on a motorbike.
In leather.
But he doesn't listen to me.

Here are the animals.
Ready on three.
One, two, snap!
I caught Evan doing...something.
Ha!

Next year, they'll need to find another refreshment girl.
'Cause I'm going to be one of the animals.

Now, I know you were all drooling over the bundt cake in the lower left corner.
Admit it, you know you were!
So, in honour of blueberry season, here is the recipe.
Slightly amended by moi.
Because I just can't help myself.

Blueberry Cake
1/2c butter
1/2c sugar
1/3c brown sugar
2 eggs
1c blueberry yogurt (I substituted kefir, which resulted in a slightly less sweet cake)
1 1/2c blueberries, drained if frozen
3c flour (I used half wheat flour from soft white wheat)
1/2 tsp B. soda
4 (yes, 4!) tsp baking powder
3/4c milk
1 tsp vanilla
Cream butter and sugars, add yogurt, vanilla, and eggs, then blueberries. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Place in a greased and floured (Pam, the magic helper) bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins to an hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you want to gussy it up a bit.

3 comments:

  1. We soooo appreciate your help! Sorry I didn't eat more, but after heavy exercise, my appetite leaves for a couple of hours. Then it returns with a vengeance! The food looked great!

    Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoulda taken some of those donuts home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa Nellie! That looks like a humdinger of a cake. And your refreshment table would've been infinitely more fascinating to me than even one lap or one pedal or one sprint!

    Just not the athletic type. But I can't wait to see you become one of the animals next year. *whipcrack*

    ReplyDelete