Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Love of Africa

I acquired a new piece of African art at the fair last weekend.
Jeff just chuckled when I told him.
For some reason, I am drawn to this primitive style of art.


My Africa room is going to run out of wall space soon.

I am also reading the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.


It is a delightful series that describes Botswana and its people in intriguing detail. As I read, I can hear in my mind's ear the lilt of the African speech and visualize the landscape and the characters.
Read this paragraph and you will see why I love it:
Mma Ramotswe accepted her large slice of cake and looked at the rich fruit within it. There were at least seven hundred calories in that, she thought, but it did not matter; she was a traditionally built lady and she did not have to worry about such things.

The author lived in Botswana for a number of years and visits the country frequently. His love of the country and its people is apparent. I was doubtful that his facts were accurate, so glowing did they seem, but after consulting Wikipedia (the source of all truth) I am convinced.

I think that I shall go to Botswana. Not only is it one of the few democracies in Africa, but since its independence from Great Britain, Botswana has had one of the fastest growth rates in per capita income in the world. Its standard of living is improving. Not many African countries can lay claim to that.

Maybe the orangutans will have to wait.

But first, Kangaroo Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment