Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Break: Day 1

After my piano students gave an informal piano recital at the local senior care home this afternoon, Jonnie, my friend Karen, and I went to the range. As in "firearms", not "Home on the". I fired my little Ruger LCP for the first time. I was awesome. Karen, somewhat of a veteran, was awesom-er. She just stood there with her piece (note the cool armament lingo) and Bam Bam Bam, got herself a bulls-eye. Jonnie was awesom-est. He squatted, bambambambambam, shot his Glock pistol. BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM, lying on the ground, sniper-style, shot his semi-automatic rifle. He is the guru of all things firearm related. Too bad I forgot my camera, or you could have seen for yourself how awesome we all were.

Tonight, Jeff and I attended the long-awaited Jamie Cullum concert. Jamie Cullum, you may remember, is our favourite rowdy little Englishman. He is multi-talented, playing piano and guitar, body percussion, singing up a storm both rumbunctious and croony, occasionally jumping up and down on the piano. He gives an energetic concert and Jeff likes his charisma. Tonight's concert did not live up to expectations. It was at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland.
Worst.Venue.Ever.
In spite of the bouncy floor.
We walked into the ballroom and realized that there were only a few chairs set up around the edges and they were all full. And we were an hour early. Me, I'm not about to spend the next three hours in agony, so I found somebody important and told them my problem and they set me up with a chair.
Thank you.
The next big problem was the beer garden, which took up half of the floor. Apparently, when you are drunk, you have no interest in the concert that you paid many dollars to see, and just want to yell above the music to your friends all night. So, while the rowdier numbers were enjoyable, the softer numbers were ruined by the hubbub from the other half of the crowd.

And parking set us back seven dollars.
AND there was a very funky smell by my chair.

Ah well, here are two of my favourites for you to try.

This lass from Dublin was the lead act.
Imelda May.
She was much rowdier in person.

We have tickets to see Mark Knopfler in April.
Last time we had tickets to his concert we forgot to go to it.
Two hundred dollars down the toilet.
I am hoping for redemption.

And now, it is already Day 2 of spring break.
Just barely.
So good night.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed those clips. I've never heard of either of them, but I bet I will in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Imelda May. That was cool! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you 'forget' to go to a concert???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, it was not my proudest moment. Jeff had just gotten back from China and was sick, so we were distracted. He came home from work the day after the concert and said "When is that concert?" I almost cried when I realized it was the night before. It took me a long time to get over it! I actually still get a sick stomach when I think about it. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can unfortunately top it. We made plans to go to Romania for two weeks, having made reservations for planes, hotel, and car. As we were getting into the car to leave for the airport, we discovered we hadn't renewed our passports. Our Romanian sons had a ball, though. Their passports were fine, and they traveled together on parents' credit cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That's one of my nightmares when I travel, there are so many small details that are VERY important.

    ReplyDelete