Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday Threads

It's a fact of life for a blogger that if you don't post anything, no one comes to read. So, in spite of not having had any deep thoughts this week, here I am.
Appeasing the adoring masses.
Ha!
Today is a beautiful day, so while I was walking around the yard spreading toxic slug bait, I carried my camera.
The star magnolia from last Thursday is in its full glory. Not much rain to speak of in the last week, so the blooms are still snowy white.

I put a couple of primrose pots together. I always vow to not do it "this year", but I can't resist their cheerful countenances. I added some crocuses and a little daffodil out of the garden and I really like this one.

The kiwi vines are sprouting leaves. I'm hoping for a small crop this year.

Grecian wildflowers, or anemones, are a reliable patch of colour in the early spring and sometimes even in the winter.

Variegated leaves of the hardy cyclamen. If you look closely, you'll see why I was applying slug bait.

Okay, see if you can guess what these are.
I'll tell you at the end.
If I remember.

My family room is a mess. I'm cutting out some baby quilts from fabric samples that I have had for close to thirty years. About time, did I hear you say? Jeff has been hot to toss my fabric stash for a long time, but I have resisted mightily. This is the year I justify my hoarding habits. My first attempt will use the shoo fly pattern, which should turn out to be some variation of this.


Lori came over this morning to validate my quilting urge and gave me good advice on mixing colours. I feel a little inept at colour schemes. We sat and discussed quilting, aging bodies, unmentionable ailments, and our next adventure: the PGE Green Living and Sustainability Fair at the end of the month. Then we went into the yard and talked about flowers and trees and cutting down mimosas.
Lori is a good friend.

This week, I finally took care of the paperwork to be a volunteer at our nearby elementary school. I start next week.
The Math Helper.
That's me!

Now I must start dinner. The missionaries called last night to remind me that I had signed up to feed them tonight and I forgot until just now. See how I am? So here I go. Chicken fajitas and ......something yummy.....for dessert.

Here it is:
Asparagus crowns.
For Jeff, who adores asparagus.
I don't particularly like it, but I hear that freshly picked asparagus is to die for.
And now, I don't want to have to type asparagus any more today.
It does not flow from the fingers.
You try it.

8 comments:

  1. You didn't tell us what the rooty thing was. Let me know how the PGE fair goes. I would like to attend myself, but, invariably, I will be otherwise disposed of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disposed of, or indisposed? Yes I did, at the very end. I'm not typing That Word again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was noticing how pretty your garden looks when I was there on Monday. The daffodils and all the spring flowers are so fun. And I love those first pictures especially with the bright white against the blue sky. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to trade your white for what I woke up to this am...snow!! I mean really, isn't it time for spring???!? It was a lovely day yesterday, over 40 degrees and now today it snowed. I did not sign up to live in Antartica...I don't think. I envy your spring time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers are beautiful! I'm jealous of how everything is growing there.
    I don't like asparagus either, but have also heard how good fresh grown is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are gorgeous and such a hopeful sign! Things are starting to look like they are thinking of peeking out of the ground around here. March came in like a Lamb so we may be in trouble.
    John has always loved grow asparagus and we do love to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ASPARAGUS. You made me laugh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Brenda, you're not anonymous any more.

    ReplyDelete