Monday, October 25, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake lives on

Here's a blast from the past.
When Bethany was two years old, I took a cake decorating class, possibly at this store. I had such fun, learning a new skill and also getting a night out every week!  I was feeling pretty clever, so for Bethany's birthday I borrowed a pan from an upstairs neighbour and made this Mickey Mouse cake. I was pregnant with Annie at the time and I remember staying up until midnight to finish it, cursing myself the whole time. I had very bad edema in my legs and standing for long periods was the worst. 
Fast forward a year to Oregon and Bethany's fourth birthday. Strawberry Shortcake was all the rage, remember? I must have been feeling really clever by now, because I bought the Wilton pan and did another midnight stint to come up with this creation. Seems like I remember some cursing on this occasion too, but at least I wasn't pregnant!
Fast forward a couple of decades and a bit more.
Strawberry Shortcake is all the rage again.
This is what we ate for dessert last night at Natalie's birthday party. 
And no, I didn't burn the midnight oil on this one.
Bethany informed me that it took her about an hour to frost it.
Which kind of ticks me off and makes me wonder what I was doing wrong all those years ago!
It was very delicious.
Too bad I only got one little piece.
Not that I'm complaining or anything.
Somewhere, there exists a photo of the same cake at one of McKenzie's birthday parties.
I wonder who will get to use the pan next?

7 comments:

  1. Yes I remember Strawberry Shortcake and He-Man and Skeletor and living through Care Bears (making quite a few, now you can't find the fake fur here in this town) and then all of a sudden the grandkids are into Care Bears and all the rest. The time flew past. You did a good job. I will have to send you a picture of the bunny cake I did for Alicia. It was one of those cut and "paste" jobs with coconut on the frosting. Now they are lucky to get cake in an 9 x 13 pan WITH frosting!! Go Sue! By the way, did anyone ever tell you how alike your daughter and granddaughter are at the similar ages? I thought at first I was staring at the latest Bethany edition, but I was wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the memories! I never did a strawberry shortcake cake, but I did my share of making those Wilton cakes. And I burned the midnight oil too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I made the cut and paste bunny several times for Charlie and Annie, as their birthdays sometimes fall on Easter. Love that Cool Whip frosting. And yes, Bethany says that Natalie is her only clone!
    Mari, nowadays I go for taste more than appearance, how about you? My days of piping tiny stars are long gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the one you made looks a lot better than the one I made, so that's probably why it only took me an hour. And that was an hour frosting time, not making the frosting and coloring it too. So it probably took more like two. And I definitely need to make a stiffer frosting next time. It was pretty yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, the familial continuum! I love that. Stephanie had a Strawberry Shortcake doll (except she called it "Frawbee") but I would never have attempted to make a cake in her likeness. Yours looked spectacular. Mine are all just round or rectangular. ="~/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! Great job with the decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I loved Strawberry Shortcake and had a birthday centered around that theme. Although, my mom bought my cake it was still pretty good.
    Both of these cakes look amazing! And Sue, they have a star tip that has three stars on it that makes icing your cake so much faster now. You should try it:)

    ReplyDelete