Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not exactly the Garden of Eden

I can usually find redeeming features in almost any area I visit, but the area where Annie and Edwin live in North Carolina has been a tough one. I've visited in winter and now late summer and neither one appeals to me. Apologies to anyone who lives there and loves it, but it's not my cup of tea at all. I need four good seasons, flowers and fruit orchards and berry and vegetable fields and the ability to grow all of those things in my own garden. And diverse shopping possibilities, an airport reasonably close by and lots of cultural and artistic offerings.

Not much to ask for, is it?

Anyway, our baby Elsie will grow up with none of those things. Which is okay, because she will be awesomely loved and that's the most important thing. And she can come to visit me and I will show her everything.

The thing I miss most in their area is flowers. The summers are wicked, this summer especially, so you see very little colour in the gardens. As we were leaving for the airport, I noticed this perfect little rose bloom by the front door.

Driving to the airport, we passed by many fields of this crop

which is, of course, cotton. I always imagined cotton to be a tall plant, but it's only about 18"high. No wonder picking cotton is described as back-breaking work.

And then there is this other, ubiquitous crop. Can you guess what it is?

Tobacco, my darlings. 
The evil, evil crop. 
Not only does it kill people, but as a crop it destroys the soil at a faster rate than any other, necessitating the use of many pesticides and fertilizers, which then pollute our waterways. Tobacco was originally used by native Americans as a hallucinogen in religious ceremonies. It was then introduced to Europe and became a recreational drug. I do believe it may the best vengeance that was ever wreaked on a conquering society.

The other crop you see everywhere is soy beans, but they look just like any other bush bean, so I didn't bother with a photo.

It seems to me that the only crops grown in that neck of the woods are those that are subsidized by the nanny government. 

I just discovered that tobacco (genus Nicotiana) is related to this lovely that can be found in my back yard.
Also called Nicotiana.
Slapping self on the forehead.

Today, in the spirit of the harvest, I am picking grapes and making grape juice.
A post will surely follow.

3 comments:

  1. The last time we drove through there, I was surprised by how much tobacco I saw growing. The cotton is neat to see, but I can see that picking it would be backbreaking.
    You asked about the art I didn't like. I didn't like the one I showed that looked like bean bags tossed in a pile. I liked most everything else, except there was one that was a painting that was against religion of any sort, saying it just gave people false hope. I thought that was a sad one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! And I look forward to our sophisticated 'grape-juice' discussions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we could get hemp legalized. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete