Saturday, April 24, 2010

Possibilities

It seems that everywhere I go this spring I see dandelions.
Seriously.
Whole lawns full of evil puffballs.
I am about to go spray Roundup on the neighbours' crops.
I am tired of fighting them.

On a brighter note, I have just about eradicated my own taraxacum, and the rest of the garden is primed with possibilities.
Yesterday, Jeff donned his trusty toolbelt (don'tcha just love a man in a toolbelt?) and attempted to confine the raspberry vines. I have doubts about the long-term efficacy of that manoeuvre, but I wasn't about to dampen his enthusiasm.
The vines are covered in little buds.
Note the rather rampant, unconfined vines in the left of the picture.

Potatoes, promising better behaviour than last year.

Bright red stalks of rhubarb, so much prettier than the green ones.

A strawberry flower, full of sweet potential.

And the grapes.
Oh my, the grapes.
The vines are covered with these babies.
I am already salivating at the thought of gallons of grape juice in the autumn.
This year I will leave them until they are ready to burst with sweetness.
Memo to self:
Plan that England/Ireland trip around the grape harvest.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, the potential in all of the pictures! Our plants aren't that far along, but they are coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your spelling of 'maneuver.' That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/manoeuvre
    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mind you, I knew there was a cleaner spelling, I just couldn't find it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The leaves of Taraxacum spp. are an ingredient in some rather expensive salads. On spelling, mom is fortunate being an English-american; she can get away with using any spelling she pleases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strawberries are in the rose family, Rosaceae. Just look at the flowers: five petals, five sepals, and many stamens. Serrated leaves are another give-away. You might be surprised how many cultured crops are actually roses, such as apples, cherries, pears, blackberries, and others.

    ReplyDelete