Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Swingin' spring

The tree blossoms and bulb flowers have disintegrated early this spring, with all the early warmth and then the cold and rain. This flowering cherry tree is always the last gasp of spring in my garden. We got it a couple of years ago when I fell in love with the trunk, of all things! I think the branches were grafted onto some sort of a beech trunk and you can see the gorgeous coppery burnish that it holds all year long. It grows slowly, but the blossoms are also quite spectacular this year.

My asparagus is sending forth shoots, the roses are covered in aphids, grape vines are bursting into leaf, and Harvey and the Toadstools seem pretty content in their new spot. Spring is in full swing at the O house.

Tomorrow we are off to drive Charlie's truck to Southern California. I am dreading the drive. Seventeen hours on a bench seat. Maybe we will have some hopefully not-too-exciting adventures that will be blog fodder.
Sometimes I wonder if I had as much fun before I blogged. I certainly don't remember it. Now, I find myself going over old posts and reliving every detail.
I think it will be a good remedy for the memory loss of old age.

2 comments:

  1. Your backyard scenes are YUMMY too. And I like my purple-flower-ivy thingy. (What did you call it?) Why did you get rid of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vinca Minor, to be precise. It takes over everything, but doesn't cover enough to keep the weeds down. Ask your Mom. We are united in our opinion of its despicableness.

    ReplyDelete