Thursday, September 2, 2010

Rockin' photo books

I know that several of you have already seen my photo book on facebook, but other of my readers are allergic to facebook or never check their news, so here is a link if you want to look at it. You can click on the pages to zoom in, then click again to get back to the original view. I have such fond memories of our Australia trip and I wanted to preserve them in hard copy.
Picaboo had a freebie last month, so this 22-page, hardcover, full colour book only cost me $13, including shipping.
I spent about seven hours on it, but now that I am familiar with the software I think the next one will be much quicker. Here's one of the pages, the only one without text, as it happens.
Some of you are excellent photographers and I wonder if you have made books using Picaboo or other websites. I would love to hear about your experiences. And if you haven't made one yet, give it a try.
If you want to start small, I made a softcover book for Mum to take home with her at Hotprints. They offer four free books a month, you only have to pay $2.99 shipping per book, which is probably less than you would pay for the prints. I was very happy with the quality of the book. Some of my photos were a bit pixellated, but I would upload at a higher resolution next time. Hotprints also has less editing options, but it is fine for a simple photo album.

And now, I think, to bed.


7 comments:

  1. Except proof books through Fullcolor, I've never made print books! I want to make some with my family blog. Maybe for Christmas... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I've been thinking of doing a book of our trip to Colorado last year but was concerned about how much work it would be to get everything in the right spot on the page and looking good. I'll have to check into Picaboo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one on iPhoto called Auntsy Schmancy, for my two daughters for Christmas ... it has pics and text about the two occasions this past summer when each of them helped me care for the grandgirls. It turned out SO WELL but now I'm antsy to try Hotprints! Thanks for that tip, Hobbit! And your book is grrrrrreat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said it before, but I do love your book. Beautiful! I made my parent's mission book from their blog with Blurb. Pricey, but it was almost 150 pages and a large hardback book. It turned out really nice. I made a book about our family reunion several years ago with Snapfish I think. I did a hardback for my parents and soft covers for siblings. The hardback turned out much nicer. We still have the soft cover book and it's okay, but the hardback is just more like a real book. I also made one of those freebie offers, pretty sure it was from Shutterfly. I was also really happy with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your book. I want to hold a koala!!!! I don't think I will ever get to, so I will live vicariously(sp?) through you. And now I will have to make a book, too. I am so glad your blog is such fun to read. It makes my day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why thanks Christie, I don't think I even knew you read my blog!

    ReplyDelete