Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vanquishing the weekend

I keep a mental tally of life's little triumphs.
The balance sheet of fate requires a steady supply of such things, I think, in order to counteract the (pardon me) crap that happens to all of us. 
So here, then, are the serendipitous events of today, Saturday the 25th of September, two thousand and ten.

An almost new jogging stroller for Annie, $30, and a bike for Thomy, $10, happened upon at a garage sale on our walking route this morning.
Ka-ching.

Tomatoes gathered, in spite of all odds (namely, the weather), and subsequently roasted and frozen.
Ka-ching!

A nice little crop of fingerling potatoes gathered from two clay pots.
Ka-ching!

Jeff, having an industrious day, putting a front and a door on the woodshed.
Note the baggy jeans.
He's lost some weight lately.
Ka-ching!

He has to bend over to fill out those jeans now. 8-D
We think we have possums living in the woodshed.
They leave little presents all over the lawns.
And they nibbled one of my tomatoes.
Tonight, the shed is sealed and Jeff set a trap on the lawn.
Ka-ching!

I am determined to win against the weather, so Jeff covered the tomato patch with plastic.
Instant greenhouse.
Ka-ching!

Jeff mowed and edged the lawns.
He is quite an enthusiastic edger since he acquired his new Weedeater. 
The old one was in sad shape, mostly due, I'm pretty sure, to Charlie's mistreatment. His philosophy was, if you don't want to do a chore, wreck the equipment. It seemed to work rather well for him. 
One day, halfway through the job, Jeff just put the old one away and refused to use it any more. 
So I bought him a new one.
And he was happy.
Ka-ching!


Behold, the leaning tower of pasta!
I bought a box of Barilla pasta at Freddie's tonight and was given a coupon for $1 off two boxes.
So I went back through with two boxes.
And was given a coupon for $2 off three.
So, I went back through again.
And again.
And again.
Who knows how long I would have kept at it if the supply of coupons had been endless.
But, sadly, there came a time when I paid for my three boxes and no coupon was issued.
Whew.
Eighteen boxes of Barilla for $7.
Ka-ching!

Dinner tonight, except for the lettuce and fish, was all from our garden.
Ka-ching!

Here's to winning the fight!
One day at a time.

P.S. Hope the ka-ching thing wasn't too annoying. 
P.P.S. I know I've pretty much ignored my trip so far. Don't worry, THERE WILL BE POSTS!
P.P.P.S. You wouldn't believe how many times I unsuccessfully tried to catch that pile of pasta boxes on camera before they fell over! 

10 comments:

  1. And I never changed out of my pjs today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great! I appreciated all the ka-chings... You won't need to buy pasta for a while!
    I've never heard of roasting and freezing tomatoes. Maybe that could be another post? I would love to hear how you do it, and then how you use the frozen tomatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day! I went biking with the group (at a very fast pace, I might add!), took a shower and a nap, then went to the women's broadcast and had delicious lasagna and chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mari, I thought I already had, but apparently not. I do it because it takes up less freezer space and it's easier than canning, especially if you don't have enough for a full batch. There may be a post on that soon.
    Ellen, that sounds like a satisfying day. How come they never have lasagna and chocolate cake when I attend these things?
    Lindsay, I did a lot of that in NC and I'm sick of it! It felt good to be industrious today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two questions:

    1: Is a spaghetti supper in the offing? If so, my invitation was lost in the mail.

    2: What will it cost you to send that stroller to Annie? Will it not be a wash at that point?

    Not trying to be negative. I'm simply inquisitive.

    BTW Andrew had a method similar to Charlie's. He'd just leave Greg's tools out, dropping them wherever he last had them, until Greg got so exasperated he almost said, DON'T USE MY TOOLS IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PUT THEM AWAY.

    Notice I said almost. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ka-chinging was mildly annoying, but I'll get over it. ;) I wish I had some of your interest in gardening and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, the pasta will get vacuum-sealed for food storage and the tomatoes will be made into sauce in the winter some time. So you're not missing out on anything. Yet! And Annie will take the stroller home next time she visits, so it won't cost anything. Have you mailed any packages lately? Holy cow, I just returned a pair of shoes to 6pm and it cost $12!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda, maybe we should exchange some of my domesticity for your running. Then we'd both be more well-balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your post. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete