Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The brain doctor

But first, weirdest search engine reader of the week: "nostalgic older women in full cut panties".
Really?
I hope they found out that I am just not that woman!

My first introduction to Dr. Oliver Sacks was when I saw the movie "Awakenings", although I didn't know it at the time. A few years later I took a Psych class while working on my music therapy degree and his name popped up. I read Awakenings and The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat and I was hooked. Dr. Sacks is a rare combination of scientist and physician (neurologist) who can also write a riveting book that is   composed entirely of case histories. He has been referred to as "the poet laureate of medicine" and given an award, by Rockefeller University, which recognizes the scientist as poet.

I am slowly working my way through his entire body of work and am constantly impressed by his powers of observation as well as his empathy. Dr. Sacks has seen some extraordinary cases of neurological dysfunction and his accounts of his patients are gripping and empathetically written. You never get the impression that these are just case studies, but that they are people in whom he is deeply interested.

He has become one of my heroes, even though he describes himself as an old Jewish atheist.

When I heard that Dr. Sacks was coming to Portland to lecture on his new book, Musicophilia, I knew I had to be there. I bought two tickets, one for me and one for my trusty sidekick. The one who goes along with all my adventures. You know who he is! And even though I was on crutches and in pain from my broken leg at the time, we went to the lecture.

Upon arriving home, I was inspired to write to Dr. Sacks. I described one of my elderly music therapy clients and told him of all of the wonderful ways in which she had responded to musical interventions. How she had no short or long-term memory to speak of, yet she remembered me from one week to the next. That she also remembered how to play short, familiar songs that I taught her on a little xylophone. I told him how happily she responded to me, even though she was quite deaf and unresponsive to social overtures from other people, and how the caregivers marveled at how alive she became during our sessions. I asked Dr. Sacks if he would consider writing a book devoted entirely to music therapy anecdotes. And I told him about the sad state of funding for music therapy in Oregon.

I had heard that Dr. Sacks responds to every letter he receives, but I didn't quite believe it.

Then, a few weeks later, this came in my mail.
His writing is difficult to decipher, so here is a transcription:

Dear Ms Osborne
Thank you for writing. I was most interested – and moved – by your description of the power(s) of music therapy with your elderly lady with dementia (I would like to quote from your letter sometime!); but upset – and surprised – when I heard that Oregon has “pretty much ruled out” any funding for MT.
A third of my book (Musicophilia) is in fact devoted to stories of MT in relation to various conditions (Parkinson’s, Tourette’s, aphasia, Alzheimer’s etc.), trying to define its powers and limitations, and their neural basis.
I hope this part of the book will help “legitimate” the real potentials of MT – and maybe help to reverse unfortunate and ill-considered decisions, like Oregon’s withdrawing of the funding it needs.
Again, thanks for writing
With kind regards
Oliver Sacks

If you want to try one his books, I recommend starting with The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat. It is interesting and amusing and you will think thoughts you have never thought before.

7 comments:

  1. I am sure I would enjoy this. I'm going to look for his books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that he responded! I read part of Musicophilia but then had to return it to the library and haven't gotten back to it. There were some interesting stories. That was the one where he talked a lot about the people that could hear music in their head I think? Or maybe that was just one chapter of it. Anyway, it was interesting to me because I had that happen to me just one time when I was a teenager. I was in the car and heard an entire song, but the radio was off. I experienced it as if I was actually hearing it though and it really tripped me out. I had never heard of that happening and never did until I read Musicophilia, so it was nice to know it was a real thing and I wasn't crazy. :) Glad I don't have to live with that all the time, although I do constantly get songs stuck in my head, at least I know they're in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Kathy...earworms are the bane of my existence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Awakenings. I didn't know that it was based on a real person. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this sends me off to Barnes & Noble. That sounds like just the sort of author I would love to read! How UTTERLY WONDERFUL that you wrote to Dr. Sacks and that he took the time to respond with such a lovely letter! And you're my hero, for helping people through music.

    That's poetry to these music-loving ears.

    When we meet may I have your autograph? Puleeeeze? I'll buy ya an RC cola and a Moon Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I just read that chapter in Musicophilia. Interesting that you had that experience, and that it only happened once. I, too, have music constantly playing in my head. I hum all the time too. One of my MT friends, who hums, just says, if someone comments, "can't you hear it?"
    Ellen, I think the main character in Awakenings was a generalization of the patients in the hospital. The book is fascinating, because it gives a history of the influenza epidemic that will blow your mind.
    Pirate, I'll skip the cola, but the Moon thing sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete