Sunday, March 18, 2012

Please don't pet the dust bunnies

The state of my kitchen window has been reprehensible for many months. When I cleaned the rest of the kitchen, I shied away from anything above the blue and grey tiles.
It may have had something to do with the accumulation of dead crane flies and other assorted bugs that had drifted to a state of permanent repose in the corners of the window sill.
Or the windows that were disgustingly covered with a layer of soapy water spots.
Or the otherwise-charming collection of miniature critters that were bedecked with old spider webs and a layer of kitchen grease.
Or the state of the wood itself, that suffered condensation damage in years past and wears a sadly cracked and deteriorated coat of varnish.

Are you grossed out yet?
Then you understand my reticence.

Whenever we invited people to dinner, I always hoped they will be so astounded at the quality of victuals and conversation that they wouldn't notice the kitchen window. 
So far, it seems to have worked. At least, no one has ever said, Susan, your kitchen window is so abominable!

Yesterday morning, I decided that I was going to swallow my abhorrence and clean the darn thing. 
I made an offhand comment to Jeff.
Maybe you should refinish the window sill today.

Well. 
Hours later, two trips to Bi-Mart, and a layer of dust over the whole kitchen, the darling man presented me with this.


Is that a satiny-smooth shiny patina of gorgeousness or what?
Now my little turtles rock the view.


There was the added bonus of my getting in the mood to wash sheers and clean windows all over the house. The amount of dust in the lacy sheers was quite scary. I suppose I had better give spring-cleaning a try this year. If you're in the mood for a similar sort of venture yourself, there is a handy little spring cleaning worksheet at Vocalpoint that will work for any room. Go here for the download.

I mentioned to hubby darling, oh-so casually, that the kitchen window looks so good, maybe he could gradually work on the rest of the window trim in the house. 
Only this time, perhaps he should remove the wood and take it outside to sand.
My lungs and microfibre dust rag will thank him.

The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hillside's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven-
All's right with the world!

~Robert Browning

HAPPY SPRING lovely readers. 

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE spring cleaning! I just don't do it enough.
    ...So why not a before picture? haha
    Oh, and I really like those purple vases -pretty with the yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I have some window sills that could use the same treatment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hubby did a great job! I, myself, am in the midst of spring cleaning. Though I am doing it because my parents are finally gracing me with their presence after three three years. I have been cleaning doors, door jambs, and molding. It is so dirty and gross, I can't believe it! Good luck with your cleaning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how those hidden areas accumulate grime when we're not looking, isn't it? Have you tried the top edge of your kitchen cabinet doors?

      Delete
  4. You should have taken Before pictures. It looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your accomplishments are nothing short of spectacular. I don't even want to think about the state of the windows in my house, let alone the curtains that hang over them. I just don't get into heavy cleaning. I desperately need a maid. Happy Spring to you! Sorry I've been AWOL. I'm getting caught up now.

    ReplyDelete