Thursday, March 1, 2012

A serendipitous turn of events

Today started in a sort of ominous way. I looked out the bedroom window at about 4 o'clock this morning (it was that kind of a night) to ascertain the source of the abnormal glow that seeped into our room. It was snow-reflected moonlight, a not-totally-unanticipated occurrence. That, combined with the scratchy-throat-dry-cough thing I've been fighting all week, caused me to skip my morning yoga class and cling to my memory-foam mattress until the last possible moment. I figured I could forge my way through the morning's preschool music group and afternoon's piano lessons and lie, pining, on the couch for the rest of the day.

Well.
After the music group, which went fantastically well and put me in a frame of mind to deviate from my plan of pining, I popped into the senior citizens' centre on the way home. It is my habit to pick up a free bread item when I am passing (Jeff said one day, Aren't those for old people? and I replied, For 50 and older, my dear) and check in with the desk on the buzz for the singing group I am starting in April. As I walked down the hall, I noticed a room full of old people, sitting on chairs in a circle. Some of them had their shoes off and feet propped up on cushions, with needles sticking out of their legs and feet. Some of them had needles in other body parts. I was reminded that a local acupuncturist does $10 acupuncture on Thursdays, which I had been meaning to give a try.

I picked up some artisan rolls (with which I made delicious pulled chicken sandwiches for dinner with leftover chicken)


and took them out to my car, whereupon I thought to myself, Self, you should go sign yourself up for a session.
So I went back inside and signed up for an appointment in two weeks and returned again to the car.
A little voice whispered in my head, Self, what about trying for a spot next week? You could use a little toe and wrist relief, the sooner the better.
Back inside I went and, after further waffling and walking up and down the hallway, I got myself in right away.
Wouldn't you know it, today the price went up to $15?

But first, I searched the bookshelves and found a good novel to read while being stuck with pins needles.


An hour later, my arthritic wrist was pain-free (not much improvement on the toe) and I was on the road again.

Back home, I discovered my new Keen socks on the doorstep, ordered at a deep discount from 6pm.com. They label your socks in case you forget which is your right foot and which is your left.


Then, while mildly pining on the couch and eating my Jose Ole tacquito lunch, I ran across a couple of good things on my new favourite bargain website, FrugalLivingNW. I scored two free tickets to see the movie Blue Like Jazz later this month and also five sample-sized powders and brushes from Bare Escentuals for a dollar.

And then, my piano students were all particularly delightful.

So, what started of to be a phooey kind of a day turned out to be pretty magnificent.
In a lackadaisical kind of a way.

4 comments:

  1. Any post with the word "serendipitous" in the title is just begging to be read!
    Acupuncture! Glad your wrist feels better. I would be interested to try it too.
    I have some Keen shoes, I didn't know they made socks but I bet they feel good.
    Nice, the way you threw in "lackadaisical" there at the end. Jenny the Pirate would be happy with your use of the English language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I love Bare Escentuals. Now, the acupuncture? I don't know if I'd try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I raid the bread every Monday evening @ the SC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free bread? I'm in.

    But when I have to label my socks L and R, please put me down.

    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete