Sunday, April 19, 2009

Improvising

When it comes to playing music, I have always been a "read-the-notes, play-what's-on-the-page" kind of gal. Improvising, at least when it comes to music, was a foreign concept to me. As a piano teacher, I was a bit of a stickler for getting everything "right".

Music therapy has changed me.
Most things, especially musical, do not seem so black and white any more.
These days, my students get to be more creative.
"Sure, we can play that rhythm a little differently, as long as you understand how it is supposed to sound."
"Yes, we can play that piece again and again if you want to."
And surely a favourite..."Okay, we can skip that piece if you really hate it."
Now, I give students opportunities to improvise with me at the piano.
Sometimes we play on the black keys.


Sometimes we play on the white keys.
For some of them, it is the best part of the lesson.
Others refuse to do it and that's okay too.

Improvising in music is like making tiramisu without even knowing the basic ingredients.
It's like sewing a dress without a pattern.
Or planting a garden without knowing the identity of the seeds.
There is no guaranteed outcome and you have to take risks.
Sometimes the outcome is just okay.
Sometimes it is serendipitous.

Improvising is still a new skill for me, one that I do not feel brilliant at, but with which I am beginning to be more comfortable.
Yesterday, I attended a continuing education class for my Board Certification called "Improvisation for Everyone."
Eight participants and two instructors got to play with cool instruments all afternoon.
There were no dull moments...


...and lots of wild and wacky ones.

It's hard to describe the change of mindset that is brought about by the act of improvising. It is a mindful "letting go" of the planning process and a conscious attention to that exact moment in which you exist with your fellow musicians. There are no expectations or rules. For me, it is a complete contrast to the rest of my life and quite liberating. Don't get me wrong, I love my life. BUT. It is full of responsibilities, diligence, planning, lists, and work.

Once in a while, it is nice to let the music have its way.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. I love your blog (if I ignore the political stuff.) Thanks for being YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got a lot to learn about music but I think it won't be in this life, after all.

    Keep learning and improvising. You're very good at what you do.

    Sorry, tomorrow is not good, but thanks for thinking of me. I'm going up to St. V's with Paul. He's got to have something done about his dialysis catheter. Not working.

    You should meet a friend of mine in East Tennessee. You've seen her picture and book annoucement on my site. She was trained as a classical pianist and loves to play and sing.
    You can click on her picture and get to her site. She also writes music as well as novels. I've heard her playing and her voice is distinctive to Tennessee. You'll like her. She's like one of my daughers.

    ReplyDelete