Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Zebras and Giraffes

I bought these a few months ago for my newly renovated spare room:




I got them from Zimbabwe Artists' Project, a non-profit in Portland.
Which has a VERY HARD TO FIND location by the river.
With NO PARKING SPACES AT ALL.
It is, however, run by a couple of very personable types who were happy to let me buy these two wall hangings, even though they were supposed to be for a show.

I LOVE THEM.

Add those babies to the list.
Of THINGS THAT I LOVE.

I love them because they are cheery and bright, depicting two of my favourite animals. They have a hand-written note from the artist on the back, telling the story of the art.

I also love them because they serve a greater purpose than just decorating the walls of the African-inspired room.

Here is the PR for ZAP:

ZAP celebrates the artistry and accomplishments of women from rural Weya in eastern Zimbabwe. Through education, sale of their art in the U.S., and special projects, ZAP helps women become economically self-sufficient. Women of Weya are subsistence farmers, mothers, and householders as well as artists. Most women live on their own, providing for families. Some are widowed, others are single heads of households, since throughout Zimbabwe men leave the rural areas to seek work in cities.
Women’s income from agriculture is unpredictable and limited. Sales of their art helps women afford food, clothing, school fees, medicines, transport, seeds and fertilizer. Since the market for Weya art in Zimbabwe is extremely limited, sales in the U.S. are critical. ZAP pays much more than any other buyer, delivering cash at the time of purchase, and we provide health care to the artists.


Add to this the fact that inflation in Zimbabwe is, I don't know, a million percent and rising, and you get an idea of the hopelessness that many of the people must feel. I like thinking that my happy walls have helped an artist to provide for their families a little better.

Go here to read more about ZAP and meet Dick and Heather. They are very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment