Sunday, May 16, 2010

Frugalistas unite, re-done


Dang, Blogspot has been giving me grief tonight. Nevertheless, I persevered, and here is the masterpiece.

In the ever-changing lexicon of our times, some words combinations are just annoying. Like the propensity for adding "ista" to the end of everything. Fashionista, for example. The practice is Latin and Spanish in origin and meansone who follows a principle. Like Taoista. Now there's an awkward word. And Lincolnista. Eek. The English "ist" doesn't seem quite as pretentious somehow. 
And of course, frugalista.

All that aside, those of you who know me understand the frugality that lies behind almost every action that I take. I think it is an inherited trait and not from my Mum. She was the one who made impulse purchases and then hid them from my Dad. I remember being on a camping holiday at Mt. Maunganui one summer and Mum and Dad having a discussion, near the end of the week, about whether there was enough money left to buy ice cream treats for the four of us. At the time, all I could think was, please, please, let there be enough for ice cream. Now, I see the wisdom of living within your budget. Dad was the master of making do, of figuring out how he could make something cheaper and better than the one that was for sale. So, while I like to have fun and enjoy the finer things that life has to offer, I choose my splurges and operate under a mindful frugality most of the time.
Last week, I was asked to teach a half-hour class at a Relief Society gathering. Relief Society is the women's organization of our church, for those of you who haven't had the pleasure. Dad used to say, "It's a relief to be away from Relief Society." Followed by much chortling. He was a funny guy.
So here, in a nutshell, is the accumulated wisdom of my years of being frugal. Originally of necessity, but now by choice.
I have been thinking about community a lot lately. About how living in a consciously frugal manner can build community. For example, if I find a great buy on Snickers bars on the clearance rack at our local Safeway, I will call a couple of friends to see if they want me to pick some up for them. That is, if I want to share and don't buy them all for me! Them when I get home, I might post the info on facebook. You will notice that many of the following ideas necessitate joining together with friends and neighbours to share resources and create blocks of buying power. In this day and age of increasing isolation, it's all good.
I must emphasize, however, that I am keen on quality as well as thriftiness. The older I get, the less patience I have for stuff that's crap. 
How elegant is that turn of phrase?
To illustrate, let me remind you of the quilt I made for little Elsie.
It cost about $2 for the batting. Everything else was free.
Now, this little baby...

 
...is another matter. It is my new pincushion, purchased at the Pacific Artists' Alliance in Lincoln City. It's made of wool that was raised, spun, and felted by Lorraine Karassik, and cost much more than $2. It supposedly sharpens your pins as you use it and I am inclined to believe the claim as I have drawn blood several times since I started using it.  If I told you how much it cost, my kids would probably never let me hear the end of it. I have already been razzed unmercifully about it by a couple of them. Check out her felted hats, which I crave but I couldn't make myself spend the money. 

So, here is the handout.
I know, you thought I'd never get to it.
But first, some pithy words from Ben and me.

Frugal living is dependent on delayed gratification and thinking ahead.  Sue Osborne
A penny saved is a penny earned. Benjamin Franklin.
Frugal living can create community. Me again.

Groceries
Couponing boot camp at http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/
preparenow@googlegroups.com for local buying group.
My favourite store is Grocery Outlet. I stop every chance I get because they are all slightly different and products change every day.
Check the clearance racks at your grocery stores, both bakery and other goods.
Make a deal with friends and family that you will call each other when you find good deals. I often post them on facebook.
Take advantage of bulk buying groups to save money and add to food storage.

Entertainment
Sign up for PCPA, Ticketmaster, other venues’ emails for good ticket prices.
Attend your town’s free concerts in the park.
Use free passes from the library to various venues in the area.

Travel
http://www.travelzoo.com/ for weekly emails of deals.

Home and Garden
Swap plant starts and share seeds with friends.
Share tools with neighbours and friends.
Find good kitchen supplies at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross.
I look for good quality products at a discount, rather than buying cheap stuff. Less waste and better performance.
Review your utilities and home entertainment bills to see if there are any better options; things change constantly.
Don’t buy new technology. Wait until it is proven and the price goes down.

Financial know-how
Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard are both very savvy and full of information on all kinds of financial topics. Dave is more about being debt-free, Clark about making decisions that are good for your pocketbook.

Other good websites
http://www.6pm.com/ (shoes and clothes)  

Now.
Go forth and save.
Let me know your great ideas and I will share them.

3 comments:

  1. I bet the class you taught was fun and informative. I am always looking for a good deal, however I don't always find them. Thanks for sharing this info with us. I think it is great whenever people share their know how on things, especially where my pocketbook is concerned:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I can't believe you spent $30+ for that pin cushion! Love, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not spend more than $30 for that pincushion. And don't push your luck, son-in-law. You should read and inwardly digest the rest of the post.
    Nicole: Thank you. See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete