Monday, May 31, 2010

Livin' in the loony bin

My mother is getting to be quite forgetful.
I took her to Fred Meyer a few days before my birthday. Every time I stopped to look at something, she wanted to buy it for me.
Finally, I said lovingly, "Mum, if you do that one more time I'm not going to bring you again."
Then, I tried on a pair of New Balance walking shoes. My feet felt like they had come home.
"Tell you what Mum, why don't you buy these for my birthday?"
She was very happy. It was a win/win situation. She got to buy me something and I got new shoes that I loved.

Every day since my birthday it has gone like this.
Mum: I need to get you something for your birthday.
Me: You did get me something, these nice walking shoes. I love them. Besides, my birthday was two weeks ago.
Mum: Oh. Well, I mean something nice.
Me: (silent, high-pitched scream) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Every.
Day.

Did I mention my Mum is getting to be quite forgetful?

Did I tell you about my birthday shoes?

A friend told me that dementia is contagious.
He may be right.

1 comment:

  1. Just apologize to your kids now, for what you will put them through later.

    ReplyDelete