Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Party girls

In our family, Jenny holds the title of Party Girl. She and Bethany hosted a baby shower for Annie. Finding a date for it was challenging, because the week was packed with family activities. We wanted to do it before Edwin went back home to North Carolina so that he could haul the loot with him. We settled on Wednesday night, which was fine until I realized that it was my busiest work day of the week. Four preschools in the morning and five piano lessons in the afternoon. I had a few hours in the middle of the day to get groceries and clean the house. Luckily, Edwin is Mr. Speedy when it comes to chores. Between his efforts and those of Jenny and Bethany after I left for the afternoon, everything came together very nicely with minimal stress for me. It was epiphanic, the concept of my kids being ready to take over some of these responsibilities that I always think of as being uniquely mine.
Do you think they're ready to take over Thanksgiving yet?
Jenny went all out on decorations. Those are real onesies and bibs hanging from the ceiling. We had a splendid time with friends old and new. 


Oh dear, the chubby forearm doesn't quite hide the unintentional cleavage.
Charlie has been rather cuddly lately. I'm so glad that my boys turned out to be loving sons. When they were in their prickly teenage years, I despaired of their ever even liking me.


Bethany received rave reviews over the salsa and other treats.


Men and little children were banished to the rec room with Star Wars and pizza.



After everyone went home, we checked out some of the family photos on Lindsay's photo blog.



There's nothing better than spending time with people who love you. I am grateful for people who also love my kids. This is the community that gives me strength, that bears me up when times are tough, and rejoices with me in the good times. Thank you friends.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to have a close and loving family. That isn't to say that differences don't happen, but when we need to pull together we do and in fine fashion. We are so fortunate!!

    ReplyDelete