Monday, December 14, 2009

Coconut gluten-free heaven

When Kenzie was visiting last week, I made Bethany some coconut macaroons. They are gluten free and very delicious. With a slight modification, I made a small dairy-free batch for Joshie.
Ambrosia Macaroons
1/2 c unsalted butter
3/4 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
3 eggs
24 oz sweetened flaked coconut
melted white or dark chocolate
Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add zest and eggs. Mix in coconut. I used my hands at this stage to mix it more thoroughly. Form balls with hands and flatten on a Silpat or well-greased cookie sheets. You can place them close together because they don't spread. Bake at 325F for 20-25 minutes until golden on the bottoms and browned in spots. Cool on sheets and drizle with melted chocolate, using a fork. I used lemon zest with a bit of juice instead of orange zest and drizzled them with white chocolate.
I substituted condensed coconut cream for butter and drizzled them with dairy-free dark chocolate to make Joshie's cookies.
We all liked them, even the gluten eaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment