Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Guilty Pleasures, Added Upon

Annie wrote in her blog about her enjoyment of drinking hot chocolate this time of year. She melts a minty candy cane in hers to flavour it.
She comes by the habit honestly. Her Nana has long been famous for her hot chocolate habit. Or Milo, as she drinks in New Zealand. All year long. Only one cup a day, she claims, but we all know better!
I am partial to a steaming cup of cocoa in the winter. My guilty pleasure is a splash of flavoured coffee creamer. Yum. The flavour of the moment is "CoffeeHouse Inspirations Caramel Macchiato."
It even SOUNDS sinful.


THAT was not an easy photo to take.
No flash, left-handed, while pouring.
Hence the ever-so-slight blurriness.

What is your guilty pleasure?
And don't try telling me you don't have one!

P.S. This post got me thinking about some defining hot chocolate moments throughout the years at our house. When Jeff and I were first married and had no money at all, one of our big treats was a cup of hot chocolate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream floating on top. It was blissfully delicious. Then we went through a cinnamon-sprinkled-on-top stage. The kids, of course, loved mini-marshmallows the best. Then Costco, in our more affluent years, started selling the Swiss Miss (or maybe it was Nestles) packets of flavoured hot chocolate mix. Raspberry, caramel, hazelnut, French vanilla. I love to heat up a big pot of milk when we have a crowd in the house, adding bits of this and bits of that until I arrive at chocolate Nirvana. It is such a comforting drink, nothing beats it for me.

5 comments:

  1. Stephens hot chocolate is SO GOOD! I recently bought the candy cane flavored one. MMM. I also like to egg nog to mine. Makes it extra creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Stephens mint flavour before, it is very creamy and good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM, I love hot chocolate, nothing like sitting and watching a movies while sipping! I really enjoy it with marshmallow cream, YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, a generous scoop of peppermint ice cream in the hot chocolate is a recent favorite. With cocoa, how can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently discovered Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Chocolate Bliss. With cream and sugar it's like the best of both worlds, hot chocolate and herbal tea.

    ReplyDelete