Monday, December 7, 2009

Post-Thanksgiving delight

I love a good cooking blog. A friend put me onto The Pioneer Woman Cooks, which is entertaining as well as full of great photos and delicious-and-decadent recipes. There is also Gluten-free Girl, whose blog I frequent in aid of Josh and Bethany's gluten-free-ness. Then I ran across this one, Mennonite Girls can Cook. So if you love cooking blogs too, check them out.
After Thanksgiving, I had a hankering for some good squash soup from one of my famous kabochas. It's a recent discovery of mine, that squash is good for something besides cookies and breads. So here are my instructions, with some pretty pictures.
Note, my recipe is, as always, flexible and adaptable. I never met a recipe that I didn't like to play with!

So first, roast the squash upside down in the oven till tender. Or microwave it, like the recipe says. I roasted mine, not having read the recipe yet. Here it is, nice and steamy and juicy.


Nasty, tough shell goes into the compost bin, of course, along with the seeds. I may have volunteer mystery squash vines in my compost next year.


I added sweet peppers to the original recipe, I like the slight tanginess that it adds to the soup. I used some from my freezer that were already sauteed.

I used vegetable water along with the turkey stock that was left over from Thanksgiving, then added a dollop of cream instead of the milk.
Flexible, remember?


A deliciously orange pot of soup.


KABOCHA SOUP

1 lb kabocha squash, seeds removed
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow or orange sweet pepper, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups chicken or beef stock
1 2/3 cup milk
salt and pepper to season

Place kabocha in microwave for a minute. Cut kabocha into small pieces. Saute onion and pepper slices with butter in a soup pot until softened. Add kabocha and saute together. Pour chicken stock in the pot. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes, or until kabocha is softened. Blend the mixture in blender and put it back in the pan. Add milk and bring to a boil, stirring the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
*Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment