Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An unexpected precipitation

Carl Reiner, the actor, once said, "A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."
It snowed unexpectedly yesterday.
Commuters took hours to get home.
Even the weather forecasters were caught by surprise.
In less than an hour, everything was covered in a white blanket of powdery snow.
The view from our back window was suddenly picturesque, instead of grey and bedraggled.

It snows rarely enough around here that I forgot the eerie glow that the snow reflects at night.

I took this photo a few seconds later with the flash.

I stayed in the house all day, except for a quick trip out to the shed to look for my car's chains. Jeff and Jon had been eagerly anticipating their outing to see Avatar last night. Sadly, it took Jeff three hours to get home and their plans fizzled. They have rescheduled for when Jon and Jenny get back from their trip to Utah.
I kind of missed the excitement that a snowfall brought to the house when kids were young. All the bundling up in boots and gloves and jackets and hats. Holding mugs of hot chocolate to warm the hands when they dragged back in. Melted snow puddles on the floor. Blasts of cold air as they enter and leave the house. Piles of wet clothes to wash. Runny noses and red cheeks. Frozen toes and fingers. Footprints all around the garden.
To tell the truth, I was a little bored.
There, that's twice I've used the word in the last week.
Must be time to get back to work.

1 comment:

  1. Between yours and one of Lisa's recent posts, I'm beginning to appreciate the craziness that having four kids brings.

    ReplyDelete