Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 13: Busy hands, happy heart

Yes, I know I'm behind.
Deal with it.
Nobody cares but me anyway.

I am thankful for whoever it was that taught me to knit.
I think it was one of my aunties.
I remember my Mum knitting things for Anne and me when we were young. A pair of mittens comes to mind. I was about six years old and the weather was very cold. Mum sat up late one night, finishing them for me. Her fingers were already slightly arthritic, I think, because she used to complain of "rheumatism".
I wore them to school the next day and lost them.

I love the Lion Brand Homespun yarn and had gathered quite a collection of leftovers from various projects. Then, serendipity struck and I found a bag of the yarn at a garage sale in the summer.
Hooray!
I had enough to make an afghan, so I laid out the colours carefully.
And I don't know why my foot is in the photo, so don't ask.


Here is the finished work. I rather love it, but can't keep it because my house is already full of blankets.
But I can't bear to give it away because I love it so much.


I've been gathering marvelous yarn over the last year and have quite a collection, waiting for the winter crocheting bug to hit.
Nope.
Hasn't hit yet.
I discovered that the back of my favourite chair makes a great yarn holder when I am unwinding the hanks.


I have been trying to come up with inspiration for these lovelies, but so far I'm bone dry.


There's something about creating beautiful things from a piece of glorified string that makes my heart happy.
What is your favourite winter sitting-by-the-fire and trying-not-to-let-your-mind-rot pastime?

2 comments:

  1. I'm right with you on crocheting, I just finished an owl hat for Rox to give away, a swirlie hat for Chan, now it is a blessing blanket for little soon to be baby boy Haupt. I'm thankful I learned to crochet too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to cross stitch. I started a stocking for Katana about 4 years ago and haven't gotten very far. Lately I have started it up again and am making good progress. I hope to get it done in the next year. It keeps my hands busy and I don't feel quite so guilty about spending my nights watching hulu if I am crafting too.

    ReplyDelete