Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 17: Would it be redundant...

...to be thankful for Thanksgiving?
Because I am. Thankful for Thanksgiving.

I love a crowd on holidays, even though all the cooking and cleanup exhausts me. Bethany and family defected to Utah for the week, so we were expecting a small table, just Sam and Charlie and the missionaries for dinner. I'd adjusted to the idea and embraced it, deciding to cook a ham and a small, boneless turkey breast instead of the usual gigantic bird that would defeat my powers of innovation on the leftovers front. 
Then, a day or so before the Big Day, Jon and Jenny's family, complete with Jenny's niece from Utah, decided that they would come after all. And on Thanksgiving Eve, Charlie told me that he had invited our favourite Samoan to come too.
So our small table turned into two tables and I was happy.

Thanksgiving Day around here was the only gloriously sunny day in the midst of a rainy couple of weeks.
Sam, Charlie, and Wrangler arrived nice and early, so after we got some prep work done in the kitchen we went for a walk.
There is a beauty-berry bush just down the road and I want to know why it is not mine.
We finally ripped mine out because the few berries it produced were never this spectacular.


I missed the lovely dinner photo op. But trust me, it was a sight to behold.
A huge ham from Zaycon Foods that was the best we have ever eaten. A small turkey breast and a herbed panko-encrusted pork roast completed the meat menu. Mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, mashed carrots and parsnips, broccoli, Jenny's Jello, green salad, rolls, and gravy for the first course. Which causes me to realize that I completely forgot the stuffing. And I had designated a box of Stove Top just for the occasion.
Darn!
For dessert we had honey-lime cheesecake, pumpkin pie, apple pie, blackberry cobbler, and butterscotch-pecan pie.

Jeff sat working on his Lego boat while we finished eating dessert.
Don't you just love those chubby cheeks?


Jon had to head to work right after he ate, but he did justice to the pie first.


Jenny and Camilla.


For some reason, Sam liked this photo better than the one I took.
Go figure.


Jon has been working on making ghillie suits for his family for some time, and had to show one off to Charlie before he left.
I could say many things here, but I shall refrain.


Wrangler was sweetly underfoot most of the night, always in the hope of a crumb or two. He decided to help with the dish-washing.


My kitchen floor has never been so clean after a big dinner.
Reason # 52 to own a dog?

After as much food had been stuffed into out bodies as possible, we played a rousing game of SpongeBob Uno.
Naked Homer images will always remind of Thanksgiving from now on.


Who is this strange creature?


When the ruckus had died down and most people had gone home, Sam, Charlie, Jeff, Mo and I all sat down to introduce Mo and Sam to the joys of Labyrinth, the movie.
They both declared it to be "weird", which was a mystery to us Osbornes, because to us it is iconic.
I think we shall have to make Sam watch it twenty more times, until she appreciates it for the genius that it truly is.

Let's hear a shout-out for Labyrinth!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun filled, family day! It was a beautiful day here too.
    Afraid I've never seen Labyrinth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot woot for Labyrinth! But I guess I could see how it would be weird if you didn't grow up watching it. I wonder what they would say to the Black Crystal. For Christmas we need to introduce Sam to Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered the stuffing! Apple walnut! Also we had corn pudding! Would you like my recipe? I don't know from Labyrinth but I love me some Sue the Hobbit. Merry Christmas, Hobbit. Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not rice pilaf..it's Harvest Rice! and i've seen snippets of Princess Bride and I thought that was weird, too....maybe i'm the weird one. and i'm totally okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete