Saturday, August 14, 2010

Joy in the morning

Weeping may endure for a night; but joy cometh in the morning. Psalms 30:5.

A church leader once said that we should strive for our children to live better lives than have we. The idea resonated somewhere deep in my soul and I took it to heart. And believe me when I say that I do not always respond thusly to counsel from church leaders.
Remember my inner rebel?
I'm not sure I changed any of my ways, but I have been tickled continually at how my children as adults are all, in their own ways, better than their Dad and me.
Not, I hasten to add (lest they become fat-headed) in everything!
But each one is doing something in his or her life better than I have ever done.
I'm not going to elaborate in detail, because that would be thrasonical and no doubt boring to anyone not specifically mentioned. But I have to share this photo, which I took on Thursday.
Bethany took G-Nana and Jenny shopping at the outlet mall at the coast and I watched all six grandkids at her house. Bethany home schools her four kids now, which has been wonderfully effective, even for the two little ones. She has grown nicely into motherhood. It is always amazing to me how she copes with her four very strong-willed children, because she was fairly passive as a child. But cope she does, rising to each new challenge as it occurs.
I must admit that when she had less kids and they were younger, I was sometimes aghast at the lack of routine in their lives. Routine has become more of a necessity, and I had to laugh when I read her bulletin board.

That's my daughter!

So, Bethany, hope that was okay.
And the other three, don't get your noses out of joint because I didn't shout your praises today.

Oh, and the scripture?
I almost forgot.
Well, you know, I have cried buckets and lost many nights of sleep over each one of my children.
Now is the joyful morning!

4 comments:

  1. Awww, thanks! You actually told me when I was younger that you and Dad were better parents to us than yours were to you, and you expected me to be a better parent to my kids. I don't really feel like I'm better, just different. There are LOTS of ways I feel like I'm lacking in something that you did really well with us. But it's always nice to know that you and Dad think we're doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that one of Daniel's jobs is to be nice to Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, so do I! Maybe I could add stuff like that to my daily list. I would feel a lot more accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!!! I'm still waiting on a post as to why I'm so great!

    ReplyDelete