Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thrills on Thursday

So.
This morning, after the sprinkler system turned off, I could still hear water running.
I ran outside and found a disaster!
Water was gushing from the pipes where the system controls are located.
Gushing, I tell you.
I could see the little dial on the water metre in my mind's eye, hands circling quickly and without mercy.
While quietly cursing Jeff under my breath, I ran over to my handy-dandy neighbour, Jim's house.
Knock knock knock!
Carol answers the door.
Where's Jim, I need him, I have an emergency!
Jim came hobbling out of the house.
What's the matter Jim, your shoulder again?
No, my hips.
Jim tried to turn off the water, but the hole was flooded.
Do you have one of those tools to turn off the main?
I don't think so. I'll go buy one.
So off to the hardware store I dashed.
Sans cell phone.
In spite of the little voice inside my head, telling me Take your cell phone.
I got home about ten minutes later.
Jim had found the valves on the sprinkler pipes and turned them off.
Carol had been trying to call me on my cell phone.
Oh well.
Thanks Jim.
I owe you one.
Again!

Fast forward to tonight, almost bedtime.
A strong and sickly smell of skunk invades the air.
Turns out Jeff had baited a mousetrap with suet.
Under our bedroom window.
To catch mice.
Or maybe scare away a possum.
Right.
That possum has a stripe down its back.
Apparently.

7 comments:

  1. Groan. Only a man would put the trap DIRECTLY under the bedroom window. And I don't mean to be a smart-aleck but who traps mice outside? I thought that was where you wanted them: outside .... maybe things are different in Oregon ... but there as here, you're thankful for a good neighbor. Ours is named Jim too and he's saved me from disaster a time or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, nothing worse than skunk. Peee-ewwww!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me: I thought the mice were in the shed.
    Him: No, I don't think they're in there any more.
    Still not sure why he did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you didn't live next Friday in advance? These kinds of disasters perpetrate on the 13th, not the 6th!! Sounds like life with Wade, you saw how I live!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna tell dad to start reading your posts... :D hahahahaha!!! And isn't it spelled opossum?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, Dad is welcome to read my blog at any time. He just chooses not to. And possum is an accepted shortening of the word opossum. Thank you very much.
    Deb, I have an inkling!

    ReplyDelete