Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pardon my participle...ummmm, preposition

I have been inordinately proud, over the years, of the fact that I knew how to not dangle a participle.
I admit, I felt slightly superior to the masses who don't give a hoot, and I sometimes went to great lengths, in my writing and speaking, to hang it up high.
To whom, I would say, did she write?
And I would feel blessedly literate and well-spoken.


And then.
I am upended by one of my facebook friends.
Who was talking about dangling a preposition.
And then it hit me!
All these years, it's prepositions that I have been hanging high!
Not participles.


Oy.


So I Googled it and found this witty and informative blog that explains all kinds of grammar snafus. The blog's writer is D L Seltzer, who works for the University of Pittsburgh. Whether it's a girl or a boy I do not know. I would love to just copy and paste the article because it's funny and helpful, but that would be tacky. So, here's the nutshell version, but I recommend you read the whole thing for yourself.


A (present) participle is a verb ending in "ing" that can be used as an adjective and sometimes a noun. It modifies a noun. When the participle is close to the noun, no problem. But when the participle is somewhat removed from its noun, hilarity ensues. The classic example is: Flitting gaily from flower to flower, the soldier watched the bee. As you can see, the soldier is certainly not flitting gaily. Although Obama would be okay with that, I suppose. The correct sentence would read: The soldier watched the bee flitting gaily from flower to flower.


As you can see, it's difficult to get in trouble with participles. Prepositions are another matter, and D L Seltzer has an interesting (and rather liberating) take on the topic. 


First of all, what is a preposition? 
A preposition usually indicates the temporal, spatial, or logical relationship of its object to the rest of the sentence. The book is on the table. Some common prepositions are over, among, between, but, until, at, and of.  You will find a dangling preposition at the end of a sentence or clause. That is behaviour I simply cannot deal with. That one is easy to fix. That is behaviour with which I simply cannot deal.
However.
And this is a big however.
Our friend, DLS, says that, according to the best sources, if the amended sentence is more clumsy than the original, go with the original.


What?


How dare she/he?
Bubbles are bursting left and right.
I tell you, I will never waste another minute of my life struggling with a dangling preposition.
If it will not go gently into that good night, it will stay where it is. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this blog post..way to tell us Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never did like my English/grammar classes... I'm one of those people to whom proper speech just isn't interesting enough. Nevertheless this post made me smile!
    (Jeff was fun to have at HtoC! He's so funny!)
    (Jon is funny too in an accidental way...)
    YAY Osbornes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dangling preposition is simply something up with which I will not put. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK? OK? Well Jenny, I don't usually have to wonder what you're thinking, but this time I am!

    ReplyDelete