Friday, August 6, 2010

First Friday Fun

Our town is really coming into its own.
Every first Friday of the month, downtown stores host an Art Walk and wine tasting evening.
We're not so much into the wine tasting.
Well, not at all, truth be told.
But we love the free tasty snacks, the art, the shopping, and the music.
And the camaraderie that abounds.
Tonight, Bethany and her Fab Four, Mum, Jeff and I braved the crowds.
We ran into several old friends and met some fun new people.

Natalie, almost three, is becoming quite the career shopper.
Look Mom, it's only four dollars!

Really, she said that!
Scary, huh?
P.S. It wasn't really four dollars.

Great Nana was in a spending mood.
Come to think of it, she's always in a spending mood.
Kenzie picked out some very dangle-y earrings.
According to spellcheck, that is the correct way to spell dangle-y.
Yoiks.
Spellcheck does not like how I spell yoiks.

Now.
Where was I?
Oh yes, dangle-y earrings.

The Fab Four, checking out the Wizard of Oz cows in the display cabinet....
...after which, the  boys got bored so we sent them home with Jeff.
Who, you have to know, was done with shopping already!
We girls drooled in the re-sale shops, finding all kinds of things we didn't know we couldn't live without. I think I shall have to go back during the week when things are quieter.
Natalie had a melt-down.
Every time I admired something, Mum tried to buy it for me.
Only she was out of cash and had to borrow from me to buy the kids' doodads.
The Trolley pulled up and we decided to take it to wherever it was going.

You're not taking photos, are you?
Are you still taking photos? 

Susan, you're not taking photos are you?

Well, maybe I am. 
Why don't you give me a smile?

At the end of the line, we disembarked at the Chehalem Cultural Center.
The same place we took family photos a few months ago.
The sculptures have changed, but they are still very organic in nature. 
I really like them.
This is a big, woven, beaver dam.

A garden of twigs.
And birds.
Bird songs were also emanating from the sound system.

A circle of dried daisies. 
Such painstaking work, so vulnerable to the vandalic tendencies of its visitors.
Wow, that was more alliterative than I planned.
And yes, Annie, it is a word!

A giant bird nest.
Roc, maybe?
Pteradactyl?

This sweet baby dress was at our last stop, the antique store by the library.
It may travel to North Carolina for our little Elsie.

Guess who is getting left at home next time?
My battle-weary, shopping-hating, doodad-despising husband.
But that's okay, because tomorrow we are doing a 5K/10K run in the a.m. and going to the coast to see the Oakridge Boys in the p.m.
Hope you have a fun day planned too!

10 comments:

  1. It's really hilarious we live in wine country and we don't drink wine, isn't it? But the vineyards are so beautiful! I'm all for some sparkling grape juice. . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jeff! There is no fun in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Art Walk. I'll have to put it on my calendar for September. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK ... you're going to see the OAKRIDGE BOYS? After all the fun you had yesterday? You hedonistic nana, you!

    Great time, great pics as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I want to know who the grumpy anonymous is. Fess up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful evening. I didn't know there was a trolley in town now. The things you miss when you move away. Definitely have to come in town sometime to do the art walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice family times Susan.. Good to see you all having a good time... PS. I am also with Jeff on the shopping and doodads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did I marry the ONLY man in the universe who LOVES SHOPPING?? Honestly, Wade can look at everything in every store in town, even though he goes there frequently. Some times he wears me out!!

    ReplyDelete