Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Redemption and meanderings

For the last week, I have been feeling rather put out. Here I was, spending precious hours on deep, thoughtful blog posts for you, my gentle readers, and no on was commenting on them. Well, hardly anyone. Not that Jenny and Mari are hardly anyone, but you know what I mean. But then, when I logged in just now, I saw that there were TEN comments that needed moderating. Usually I get an email, but it seems that Blogger arbitrarily decided to quit notifying me. So now you are all published and I LOVE YOU!!!!! Thank you thank you, kisses blown and adulation accepted!
YOU LIKE ME, YOU REALLY LIKE ME......

Well.
Anyway.
Back to meandering.
Oh, that's right, I was!

Last night I went on a little coupon redemption spree at Safeway.
I haven't been using many coupons lately, due to trying to change our eating habits. But I discovered that these granola bars are gluten-free (for Josh and Bethany) and also devoid of any high-fructose corn syrup. So I acquired this snacky stash for $5.42 and also took home a coupon for $3.50 off my next shopping order.
Score!
On Saturday, one of my Mum's last acts in the country was to participate in a parade. She will be 82 later this month and it was the first time she has ever been in a parade.
They're not quite as gung-ho about parades in New Zealand.
It was stiflingly hot, so she and the Fab Four rode in the back of a truck.

Rob's Green Beans were in fine form, almost 160 of us all together. 
We ruled the Tualatin Crawfish Parade!
Yes.
Crawfish.
If you look at the right of this photo, you can see the beginning of our group waaaaaay ahead of us, to the left of the sign on the right.
Got that?
This man goes along with my wildest schemes.
Usually, he even has a good attitude.
Gotta love that in a mate!
I talked him into gleaning blueberries with me on Monday night.
For two-and-a-half hours.
We picked thirty pounds. 
That makes FIFTY-SIX POUNDS for the season.
I dare any of you to beat that.
On the way home I thanked him for helping me.
I guess that's the price I pay, he said.
Pay for what? I asked.
Being married to Sue, was his reply.
Hmph.
Not sure about the attitude on that one!

My Mum is safe and sound at home in New Zealand. It was a bit scary, sending her off to various airports in her state of mind, but she only had one faux pas. I had packed her some fruit and snacks for her waiting time in San Francisco. I knew she would forget she had them so I wrote her a reminder note and put it in her handbag, through which she is always rifling. Well, going through customs in NZ , the fruit-detecting beagles sniffed out  the orange and grapes that she had not found in her bag. My sister and I can only imagine THAT scenario! Luckily, the customs officials must have figured out that Mum has bats in the belfry, because they didn't slap her with the $200 automatic fine. Her comment to Anne? I wish I had known I had the fruit because I was really hungry.
Oh, and Don't tell Susan.

Sigh.

We will not be sending Mum on that trip.
Ever again.
Remind me of that next year, would you?

On a brighter note, I spent this morning at a piano teachers' workshop in Portland, and I have returned home invigorated and full of new ideas and enthusiasm for this teaching year. I also have some ideas for expanding my preschool and senior music groups about which I am very excited. Time to get back in the working groove, after a slightly strange summer.

Oh, and my sister loves her handbag.
Her husband even approves of it.
The JD test, Anne calls it.
His initials, if you're wondering.


AND...
We're having a baby soon. But not too soon, I hope, because Jeff and I have tickets booked for North Carolina for September 17th, and I don't want to miss too many of the early days of our little Elsie's life.

So, there's my life lately in a nutshell. 
A little bit weird, but it's my life.
Feel free to share any of your highlights in the comments section.
Did I mention how much I love comments?

11 comments:

  1. Of course we like you! Who wouldn't?
    I like your hubby too - his comment to you was perfect!
    Glad your Mom made it back safe and sound, and without a $200 fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll comment, but just because you asked nicely. :) So I'm assuming the 30 pounds of blueberries were before you gave half away, because if it's after I'm REALLY impressed, hee hee. I think your husband's comments could be read as super sweet. It all depends on the delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, Kathy, it was before. And his comment was nicely delivered, I think......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to remember how many YEARS I blogged with nary or nearly nary a comment and never once pouted. Publicly. LOLOLOL but here I am, one of your faithful hardly anyones.

    OK where do I start ... score indeed on the snacks. Beat 'em at their own game, I always say. Your Mum is beautiful and quite fitting she should ride in the parade. I think bats in belfries make for simply smashing women. Maybe that's because I have more than a few in my own.

    Your Jeff is a lucky man and he knows it. Who else can work such magic with a single blueberry, let alone fifty pounds! The only blueberry picking I do is off the frozen food shelf at Kroger. For smoothies.

    BRAVO on acquiring new piano teaching skills and ideas! Your students are very fortunate to have you.

    I can't wait for the third week in September!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commenting!!! Ummmmmm..... I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guh-olleee you guys, I meant if you want to share any of the highlights of your lives. I'm not just after gratuitous praise here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh we've got yer number hunny! LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I have before said, I enjoy keeping up with you and your family. Some day (whenever that comes) I am going to start one of my own. Best wishes on your latest addition. They are so precious and soft when brand new...they are so fun as they grow up though... When our latest grandson arrived, his BIG brother said to his older sister "See, I asked for a brother FIRST!!!" Out of the mouths of babes...Love you Sue!! Glad your mom got home safely, what a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindsay, you sound like a spambot. Can't you do any better than that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO graciously leave a comment for your enjoyment and you insult me??? Talk to the hand, Sue. Talk to the hand...
    P.S. Looking forward to pics of baby Elsie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, they're inducing tomorrow because of Annie's blood sugar. Talking to the hand of Lindsay, of course.

    ReplyDelete