Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sightings at the Pow-wow

I often get a kick out of the things people search for that direct them to this blog.
Today's weird one was Singapore looking for grown-up people that take out the trolley and can see the nanah.
Wow.
I can think of nothing to say about that.
Do you think they were really looking for me?

This morning, Jeff and I decided to not be slugs and take ourselves over to Grand Ronde (pronounced, we found out today, round) to the big Annual Pow-wow. We were not disappointed. Here are some of the sights from our day.
This...
...is The Most Awesome Drum I Have Ever Played. And I have played a lot of drums. The vibration runs all the ways from the top of your head right down to your tippy-toes. Not only that, it is positively beautiful. I want this drum. It was, I think, a mere $1,900. 
The lady on the left, Linda Silvers, is the artist, and her talent is multi-faceted. 
Many of the dancers were happy to be photographed...

...but these two young ladies asked, a little snottily, I thought, what I was going to do with the photos.
?
Why, then, do they parade around if they don't want to be photographed?
This sweet chubby papoose sat next to us and made eyes at us while drinking from his bottle.
The Grand Entry went on for a long time and was very noisy.

The costumes were spectacular...




...the drumbeats hypnotic, and the dancing contagious.
I almost got up and joined in.
But I'm feeling a little creaky from weeding yesterday.

Here is my very first YouTube video, so that you can hear the jingles for yourself. You might want to watch it on full screen so that you can see the cute kids.
And the wild man in yellow.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to go attend. Love that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you and jeff sure get around! how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracious! You do go to some interesting events. I can't believe the tricked-out girls were snotty about what you might do with the photo! I mean, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wade & I went to the Ute pow-wow several years ago and it was a pretty amazing thing. I agree the costumes were spectacular. I wonder who has time and energy to put on the beads and bangles. We always say we will go again but we don't...wonder why

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a spectacular sight! I love the outfits.

    ReplyDelete