Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bi-lingual happiness

Jenny's Mom is visiting, all the way from Peru, so we had them over to dinner on Sunday. I was flummoxed by what to have for dinner, because I wanted Elsa to enjoy it and Peruvian tastes are a little different than most Americans. 
Then, Sunday morning (one of those Sundays, with too many things to accomplish by the end of the day) I had a brainwave. 
We would have soup (corn chowder, because Peruvians love corn) and fresh wheat bread. 
It was Elsa's birthday on Saturday and I wanted to make a cake, but knew I didn't have time. Again, inspiration in the way of flan
Peruvians love flan.
And, it is easy. Go here for my fave flan recipe.
The meal was simple but successful. Elsa had two helpings of soup.

Te gusta sopa, Elsa? says I, in my best Spanish accent.
Si, si, she replied, with a big grin on her face.

Jon got in the dog-box with Jenny because he ate a helping of flan.
He tells her he doesn't like flan, she said.
Bad Jon.

Jenny's mom doesn't speak one word of English.
We got along really well.
Maybe that is why.
Did you know flan is flan in English and Spanish?

Afterwards, we made the most of our bi-lingualness and sang a few rousing verses of Feliz Navidad.
I'll tell you what, we know how to have a good time at our house!
My low E string was broken, hence the strange strumming pattern.
Which reminds me, gotta add that to my list for today.
I've been blogging too much lately, considering all the other tasks sitting on my list.
But it makes me strangely happy.
Try the flan recipe, it will make you happy too.
So will this video.

8 comments:

  1. So, an Elsa and and 2 Elsie's in the family? Sounds like fun times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! That video made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be singing that ALL day! (That's not so bad..) The boys running around and around is the cherry on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you believe I've never tasted flan? I've read of flan and seen flan, but never actually eaten it. Is it anything like creme brulee? I love me some creme brulee.

    Good on you, having corn soup. My family loves my potato-corn chowder and this sounds similar. You can't go wrong with corn soup, in my opinion.

    I'm glad blogging makes you happy because your blogging makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! I'm so empressed with Elsa. She is singing and enjoying herself. I remember my first day here, I was very scared and shy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, it's a lot like creme brulee only the caramelized sugar is on the bottom of the pan.
    Chery, Elsa is quite shy but it is her second trip to the States. She livened up when we started playing music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feliz Navidad, never fails to please..
    Jose Felicano n all.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, I just love your blog! It is always so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete