Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Winter vagaries

We had a warm, dry spell yesterday and I went out to do some yard work.
There were bulbs, sprouting hopefully in a bucket, that Jeff had dug up while fixing the sprinkler system. I managed to get about a third of them planted before I got bored and pulled a few weeds.
As I was picking up the weeds I noticed the rhodies  spreading a little further into the common driveway than I would have liked, so I pruned them up a bit.
By the time I got those squished into the yard recycling bin and planted a few more bulbs, I barely had enough enthusiasm for the outdoors left in my bones to snap a few pictures of these lovely water droplets hanging on the variegated willow.

We had a tornado just a little south of us today. It wrecked a few buildings and caused a lot of damage. Tornadoes are rare but not unheard of in Oregon. A friend of mine, who lives just up the hill from us, lost her old farmhouse to a tornado a few years ago. It touched down and uprooted a Douglas fir, which fell on her house and knocked it off its foundation.

I think about monotony a lot. I used to crave it, when my life was a little more tumultuous. But now that it is mine, if I choose it, I find myself going in the other direction.

Even the best minds in the world disagree on the subject.

C.S. Lewis said, The long, dull, monotonous years of middle-aged prosperity or middle-aged adversity are excellent campaigning weather for the devil. I'm not sure if it makes sense grammatically, but I can certainly relate to the sentiment.

I feel monotony and death to be almost the same. Charlotte Bronte. But dear Charlotte was of a rather depressive nature and should possibly be disregarded.

People, chained by monotony, afraid to think, clinging to certainties...they live like ants. Bela Lugosi. One of the greatest thinkers of all time, I am sure.

The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind. Albert Einstein. We should pay heed to Albert, although I do not subscribe to the ideal.

And finally, one for the pirates among us. 
You know who you are. 
There is nothing so desperately monotonous as the sea, and I no longer wonder at the cruelty of pirates. James Russell Lowell.

9 comments:

  1. Bronte, while brilliant, just needed some 'scattering of smiles and sunshine'. -Love the last quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you included a quote for a certain pirate. I'm sure she'll appreciate it!
    I was just watching the morning news and saw video of the destruction from the tornado you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you find a small spell of monotony to be refreshing now and again? We get to rushed that a routine almost seems like a vacation! My own life is crowded with to-do lists and many tasks left undone due to low battery life and lack of ambition for more. Why do we crave more? If someone can figure it out, write and book and make money!!! I would love a routine consisting of holding my grandbabies (before they get too big for such nonsense), watching mindless TV with Wade, eating popcorn and sitting in my warm house watching the snow, not having any place to HAVE to be. Well, so much for that....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I agree with Albert Einstein. We all need a little mindless nothing to give the brain a rest before it sparks back to life again. Not that I've experienced it recently...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I don't mind a little monotony. But I need variety too. And a little danger once in a while.
    Hope, he also had some negative opinions of monotony. Again, variety, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA ... pirate though I be, I cringe at the thought of disregarding any bit of wisdom from the prodigious brain of Charlotte Bronte! I'd rather die.

    And as much as I sometimes crave monotony (which isn't often), I find when I have it (and I have it all too often -- and it seems when you have it, you always have it in abundance), I truly don't care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW forgot to say ... your water droplet picture is amazing. I stared at the big version for a long time. Very thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. uhh....oregon has TORNADOES?! well, there ya go, i found ONE thing wrong with oregon. everything else i like :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny, happy to provoke your thoughts. I was wishing I had a good macro lens.
    Sam, tornadoes can happen anywhere. It's quite rare up here.

    ReplyDelete