Friday, December 10, 2010

Things that keep me awake at night

It seems that hatred is rising in the world.
Did you hear about the famous Glastonbury Thorn Tree, a famous Christian landmark in the UK that was cut down by vandals last night? Whether or not the legends are true, it was dearly loved by many people, which was motive enough for someone else to chop it down.
The tree may recover.
Let's hope so.

Sugar is now being sold in 4lb bags. It's not enough, apparently, that price-fixing and government subsidies of ethanol have driven up the price, but now we are to pay exorbitant prices for less of it?
Oh well, maybe it will be the saving of us in the end.
Though I hate to admit it, I could eat less of the stuff!

On the other hand, you know how ice cream cartons have been steadily shrinking? First they were 2 quarts. Then they were 1.75 quarts. Then, suddenly, 1.5 quarts. I guess 1.75 was not a round enough number. But the price stayed the same!
Well, Safeway has started making their cartons 2 quarts again.
I commented on it to the customer service person.
They didn't think people would notice, she said.
Oh yes, they will, I replied, I will make sure of it.
So, go buy Safeway brand ice cream.
It may not be the most delicious, but it is honest!

I wonder why, when I think certain people might actually come through for me (when they have always let me down in the past) I am saddened and surprised when they act predictably. There is a certain older gentleman of my acquaintance (I will not say friend) who was asked to play Santa at a Christmas breakfast that I am in charge of tomorrow morning. He is renowned for his grumpiness, but I agreed to the idea, thinking that he might enjoy it. Surely, I thought, he will not be grumpy with the children. But I forgot, he could still be grumpy with me. He let me know, in no uncertain terms, that he was unhappy about a few things. Fine, says I, I will find someone else if you are not happy.
That was on Tuesday evening.
I muttered to Jeff, Why do I hate that man so much? 
So I did a panic on facebook and a kind friend and her husband came through for me.
He will make a much nicer Santa.
And I was grateful for nice, kind people.

Who do not make me hate them.
Who is that sweet little boy, sitting on Santa's lap?

I'm not decorating much for Christmas this year. 
But I do love this Schleich camel that sits atop my TV cabinet.
He could totally be in a nativity, don't you think?

8 comments:

  1. On the other hand, of you are auditioning candidates for a production of "A Christmas Carol," it sounds like you have your Scrooge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, even to your camel! I am not decorating much either, no one will be here except me and Old Grumpy. So I got out the little bitty tree with mini decorations, no lights and a few Nativity sets on the piano. Minimalist seems comforting somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed the sugar and ice cream sizes being decreased too. Frustrating! Even worse is people being cranky and letting you down. Glad you got a better Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe there's a reason behind the grumpiness that you're not aware of. "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrows that the eye can't see" and all that. There could be chronic pain, depression, major stress, or he just grew up in a grumpy family and it's a hard pattern to break. But yeah, no fun at all to be on the receiving end of the grumpiness for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It most certainly is! Like I said, back when he was sweet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahah he's always been sweet to me! i don't know what you're talkin' about... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I read this post and could've sworn I commented. What happened? More unmoderated comments waiting in the wings? LOLOL what I meant to say, if I didn't, was that I love that camel. Love him to death. I have a thing about camels. They melt my heart.

    ReplyDelete