Thursday, December 16, 2010

Blast this Christmas music!

It's joyful and triumphant. 
Who said that?

This song takes me right back to the 70's. It was written in 1956, the year I was born, oddly enough. It was first recorded by Harry Belafonte (and hit the top of the UK charts in 1957) and has been covered by such shining stars as Mahalia Jackson, Andy Williams, John Denver, The Lettermen, Nat King Cole, Rolf Harris (yes, that Rolf Harris!) and, sad to say, The Wiggles. 
In 1978, Boney M.'s version rocked it again to the top of the UK charts. 
I love Boney M.
I used to have a cassette tape that had survived from my youth. We used to rock out to it as we drove the interstates in our old non-air-conditioned Colt Vista. 
By the Rivers of Babylon.
Brown Girl in the Ring.
Sunny.
Ahhh, sweet memories.
I love road trips.

I dare you not to jig a little.
You might even sing along.

Best.
Christmas.
Song.
Ever.


8 comments:

  1. I didn't know this song had been around so long. I just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! And man those pants are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shaggy vest is a bit odd too. He should have stuck with the long coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great song. I catch it once in a while on K103 during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bart brought a Bony M tape back from France after his mission. I loved it and listened to it all the time. I especially liked to listen to it while I was cleaning. It would make the task go by faster(it seemed).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was awesome. I not only sang along and jigged ... I purt' near got a cardio workout. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, the Grinch.

    ReplyDelete